Artwork: Here is a Sign by Forrest Best, 1970
How do you know if you or someone you love, such as an elderly parent, may need balance therapy? Below are 5 signs that balance therapy could be right for you. If it is, contact a physical therapist that specializes in balance therapy so that you can improve your health and decrease your risk of falling.
The bottom line is we want you around for a long time! A fall could cause an injury that would jeopardize your livelihood, and your functional independence. For those older folks, it could mean the difference between living independently on your own, or having to go to a nursing home- so take it seriously!
5 signs that a Person needs Balance Therapy:
1. Any fall that created a serious injury in the last 12 months.
2. Two or more falls without injury in the last 12 months.
3. Needing more that 1 attempt to rise from a chair.
4. Walking touching the walls & furniture for support.
5. Having a fear of falling is a significant risk factor for falls.
If you answered “yes” to any of these 5 signs, don’t wait to do something about it. Find a qualified vestibular specialist who can help you improve your balance. You can use these web sites to look for vestibular specialists in your area.
1. The Vestibular Disorders Association website
2. The American Physical Therapy Association Neurology section has a Vestibular Rehabilitation Section where you can search for vestibular specialists state by state.
Be empowered. Balance therapy CAN change your life!